A Healthy Diet - Your Key to Health and Well-being
There is a smorgasbord of healthy diet information published in the media that promotes a dizzying array of food cures, so-called healing or healthy diets and tips for healthy eating and effective weight loss. Unfortunately, the information can be confusing, sometimes conflicting and, at worst, inaccurate or unreliable.
What to eat, or what not to eat? - That is the question.
If you were like me, instead of clarifying what foods and supplements my family and I should eat or avoid in order to address a specific medical concern or maintain a healthy diet, you could feel more in the soup after hearing the latest nutritional advice than before.
After trying to educate myself, I often had no idea what the best foods or supplements were to maintain a healthy weight; deal with a thyroid condition, infertility, constipation, hemorrhoids, or, for that matter; avoid osteoporosis, cancer, diabetes or heart disease. What was a healthy balanced diet anyway and why did it have to sound so complicated?
So much for that essential question so many seek to answer.
"What should I eat to live a long and healthy life, slow the aging process and prevent and manage illness?"
Why something so simple as eating should be so complicated?
Because my search for health and vitality for me and my family and readers resulted in sometimes contradictory information about healthy diets and healthy eating; I've been grateful to anyone who could make sense of the mystery dishes on the buffet table of scientific and nutritional research and explain - in straightforward terms - what to eat and not eat.
Healthy-Diet-Healthy-You.com is the resource I wished I had when I’ve wanted concise clear answers to these complex nutritional issues.
As a freelance health writer and mother of a young child who's had to deal with several of her own and her family’s health conditions over the years, this web site stems from a curiosity and passion for how diet and the food we eat affect how we feel and function.
What you eat, drink and breathe matters.
Of the top 10 causes of death in the US - heart, stroke, cancer and diabetes are acknowledged by experts to be lifestyle diseases where unhealthy diet, along with being overweight and
physically inactive, are major risk factors in the development and progression of these killer conditions.
- For heart and stroke; diet, obesity and physical inactivity are a whopping 90 to 95 % risk factor;
- For cancer they are a 30- 35% risk factor;
- For diabetes mellitus or type 2 diabetes an 80% risk.
The jury is in.
Diet, including both healthy and unhealthy diets, affects mental health too; something you'll agree with, if you've ever skipped breakfast or lunch and experienced growing irritation, loss of concentration, fatigue and possibly brain fog. Scientists have demonstrated that certain foods and nutrients affect the production and function of neurotransmitters, hormones and enzymes, the proper functioning of which are key to mental well-being.
It's no surprise that food and drink and the air you breathe – the fuel for all cells in the human body - affect how a person feels and functions, for better or worse. A healthy diet or nutritious diet plan, along with exercise, plays a key role in overall health as well as the development and progression of specific medical conditions.
The good news about a healthy diet plan
Diet and exercise are two factors which you control, unlike bad genes, bad germs, bad environment and other factors that may lead to illness or premature aging. With the right information you can make changes in your diet that can result in positive changes to your health.
A healthy diet and a healthy you are certainly worth the effort.
- Healthy Diet News Blog
- Healthy Diet News Blog keeps you up to date on the latest medical research and commentary on what foods and nutrients are part of a balanced healthy diet.
- A Healthy Balanced Diet - Six Tips to Achieve One
- A healthy balanced diet - an easy road if you follow six simple nutrition tips.
- The New Food Pyramid is now a Plate called My Plate - The USDA's MyPlate
- USDA'S New Food Pyramid becomes a plate - Myplate – how Harvard's Healthy Eating Plate and PCRM's Power Plate improve on it.
- Calories in Food – How to Calculate and Why?
- Calories in Food – their role in weight maintenance and weight loss
- Healthy Diet Tips for a Healthier You
- Ten Healthy Diet Tips to help you lose weight and find energy
- Reading Food Labels – Understanding How Food Labels Work
- Understanding and Reading Food Labels and Nutrition Facts
- Low Glycemic Diets and the Glycemic Index Food List
- How the Glycemic Index Food List can help achieve Low Glycemic Diets
- Orac Values – What are they? Your key to understanding the power of Antioxidants
- Orac Values – Your key to Comparing Anti-oxidant in Foods and Navigating the Road to Antiaging Nutrition
- Vitamin Benefits - Health in a Pill? Are multivitamins worth it or a waste of m
- Are multivitamins and supplements a waste or worth it? Your guide to Vitamin Benefits and precautions
- Omega 3 Benefits - The Skinny on Omega 3 oils, Omega 3 Supplements and Other Fat
- Omega 3 Benefits you can Experience through Food and Supplements – The skinny on dietary fat
- Benefits of Vitamin C from Diet and Supplements
- How to best achieve the Benefits of Vitamin C - Should you use Vitamin C Supplements or Not
- Benefits of Vitamin D – an essential hormone we often lack and how to get enough
- Getting enough of the Sunshine Vitamin through sun, diet and Vitamin D Supplements – Obtaining the Benefits of Vitamin D
- The Health Benefits of Zinc are widespread – Make sure you get enough
- Don’t be zinc deficient and lose out on the many health benefits of zinc
- For the benefits of calcium, get your calcium intake and co-factors just right
- The benefits of calcium involve getting enough and absorbing what you get
- Benefits of Magnesium – a key mineral we often lack and how to get enough of it.
- Magnesium is an essential mineral often deficient in our diet – Learn about the Benefits of Magnesium
- The Anti-Inflammatory Diet - Your road to Better Health
- The Secrets to an Anti-inflammatory Diet
- Inflammatory Foods – The Foods That Can Harm Your Health
- Inflammatory Foods to limit or avoid in your diet
- Cancer and Nutrition – a Potential for Prevention and Healing
- The Cancer and Nutrition Connection - How Diet Can Promote Cancer and Prevent it
- Cancer Prevention Diet – Five Basic Strategies
- Five tips to achieve a cancer prevention diet
- Cancer Fighting Diet - A Game Plan For Defeating Cancer
- Implementing a cancer fighting diet
- Cancer Foods as part of a Cancer Fighting and Cancer Prevention Diet
- Cancer foods that should have star billing in any cancer fighting and cancer prevention diet
- Breast Cancer Diet – How Foods Can Help Prevent and Manage Breast Cancer
- Breast Cancer Diet – healthful eating strategies to combat breast cancer and conditions of excess estrogen
- Lung Cancer Diet – Dietary Strategies for Making Lung Cancer Go up in Smoke
- Lung cancer diet strategies for lung cancer prevention and management
- Your Healthy Diet Guide - Healthy-Diet-Healthy-You.com brought to you by health
- How a Healthy Diet inspired freelance writer Mary Bradley to start a web site about diet and health